Ah, the new year! The time of reflecting on the past and looking to the future. And, for many, a time to make resolutions to be healthier. Maybe you want to eat better, exercise more, or finally tackle those nagging health issues that have been following you around.
It can be intimidating to make long-term lifestyle changes. Maybe your health goals feel overwhelming or maybe you’re not sure where to start to be healthier in the coming year. Trust, us, we’ve been there! So we’ve got just the thing to help you out on your journey to health in 2019.
To celebrate the new year, we’ve come up with a list of our top Health Hacks for 2019: easy steps you can take today, this week, this month to instantly improve your health and lifestyle that can lead to a long-term healthier way of life.
Do you have a favorite health hack, or something you do every day to help your health? Let us know in the comments below!
Here are our top 8 Health Hacks for 2019:
- Drink clean water and more of it: Drinking more water is one of the easiest things you can do to improve your health. Ideally, you should aim to drink around half your body weight in ounces per day, plus more if you’re very active or live at high altitude. To make sure you’re drinking high-quality water, we recommend you filter your water if possible. The Berkey Water Filter is one of our favorite systems. It uses a charcoal filter that removes heavy metals and other contaminants from your water.
- Eat whole foods: Eat real food that comes from the earth, not a package. Whole foods like vegetables, fruits, non-gluten grains, and organic free-range meat should be the center of your dietary world.
- Reduce sugar: Eating less sugar is one of the best things to do right now to improve your health. Try to cut refined sugar completely out of your diet, and only eat healthier sweeteners like honey or monkfruit in moderation. Do you have a hard time imagining your life without sugar? Take our Sugar Sensitivity Quiz.
- Get quality sleep: Getting enough quality sleep is so important to a healthy lifestyle. Try to reduce your caffeine intake and cut back on nighttime blue light exposure from phones or computers to ensure quality sleep. Studies have shown that exposure to blue light from electronic devices makes it more difficult to fall asleep. If you do a lot of work on computers or need to use your phone for work, try blue blocking glasses, like the Uvex Skyper Blue Light Blocking Computer Glasses.
- Sweat it out!: Sweating is your body’s built-in method for detoxification! Try hot yoga or relax in an infrared sauna (we like Sunlighten saunas) to help your body sweat out toxins. Or try our Conscious Cleanse detox bath- 3-4 cups epsom salt, 1 cup baking soda, 2-3 drops lavender oil. Soak for 15-20 minutes and get your sweat on.
- Adopt a mindfulness practice: Healing your body involves healing your mind as well. Adopt a regular mindfulness routine, like a daily list of positive things (i.e. 10 things you are grateful for), meditation routine, or a guided mindfulness app like Headspace.
- Improve your indoor air quality: Improving indoor air quality can improve your health and reduce your risk of developing chronic health issues from exposure to VOCs and other household toxins. We love using the IQ air system to better our house’s indoor air quality. It’s one of the best on the market!
- Find your personal blueprint: No one knows your body better than you. Trust your intuition about what foods make your body flourish and which don’t make you feel great. Avoid following fad diets or food trends; if your body thrives on meat, a raw vegan diet wouldn’t be your best option. It can be difficult to find your blueprint on your own, that’s why we’ve developed our cleanse. For 14 days, you’ll eat real food, learn new recipes, practice mindfulness, chat with trained health coaches, connect with fellow cleansers, and find what lifestyle choices make you feel the most healthy and vibrant. Join us for our next cleanse starting January 2 for a fresh start to 2019!
JOIN OUR NEW YEAR’S CLEANSE HERE