The New Year has never really caught my attention. Although I love the festivities, the count down to a big smooch, or a nice meal with friends, it doesn’t quite have the impact on me that it seems to have on others, or so it seems. It’s not that I don’t love to reminisce, I come from a family who constantly analyzes. My sister’s favorite game to play is highs and lows of the day- and you have to play!
Sitting next to my husband one night, he was reading the top 10 lists of 2012 from best movies, best albums to best tweets! He’s much cooler and much more plugged in than I am:) And, then it hit me. Food! Yes!! Now that’s one I can get exited about!
So here are the “All Star Players” of 2012. The hottest, most talked about and most eaten health foods of 2012!
Counting down to the big numero uno!
- Warm lemon water. Sexy? Not so much. Powerful? Heck ya. 32 ounces a day will get your “juices” flowing. There is nothing I love more than pooping. There you have it. I said it.
- Chia seeds. Everyone was talking, eating and packaging Chia seeds this year. Even Dole foods. Add to your smoothies, make a pudding or sprinkle on your salads.
- Turmeric. This superhero of spices battles inflammation and will boost your immune system. Just 1 tsp a day keeps the doctor away.
- Cacao. This is how we get our fix and you’ll love this mineral rich food too once it hits your pleasure center! Get your fix with raw brownies, chocolate truffles, or add 1 tablespoon to your smoothie for the big chocolate “O”.
- Fresh veggie juices. To juice or to blend? That was a big question in 2012 and we think it’s pretty cool that juicing is hitting the mainstream.
- Maca. Marvin Gaye meet Maca, known for boosting the libido, this nutty root superfood will heat up your winter nights. It’s also known to put a little pep in your step. Energy without the jitters. We are Incan warriors at heart.
- Stevia. The best alternative sweetener that no one can pronounce. Out with agave and in with Stevia. We carry a bottle in our purses like old ladies. I left mine at the in-laws this year over Thanksgiving. #lowof2012
- Quinoa – The Golden Grain of the Incas. The Incas are finally getting the acknowledgement they deserve. With gluten-free being all the rage, quinoa tops the charts. Goodbye brown rice. Hello quinoa, our whole grain of choice, complete protein, nutty little lover.
- Kale, kale and more kale! Veggie of the year without a doubt! Some say they are over kale, that it’s so last year. And to that we say “not possible.” Kale we love you and we crave you like we used to crave!
- Green smoothies. We couldn’t get enough of them and neither could everyone else. They top the charts of health blogs this year. Green smoothies coast into first place.
Thanks for this easy to remember list, Jo. I’m still green smoothing after the last cleanse,but now adding some antioxidants to the mix – Vit C and Lipoic Acid for starters. Thanks for all your encouragement last year and what you have done for all of us to help us make better choices. Your book is terrific – I have it right here! Cheers!
That’s awesome Sarah! So glad you are adding to your box of health tools!