Did you know that 38% of adults in the US are prediabetic? Sugar is the seed of so many health epidemics in our society because it impacts so many bodily functions.
That’s why it’s so important to recognize signs you have a blood sugar imbalance.
The primary problem with high blood sugar is suppressed immunity. Sugar increases inflammation in the body, which suppresses your immune function. This puts you at higher risk for contracting illnesses and likewise slows your body’s ability to heal.
Excess sugar consumption is also linked to such conditions as hyperactivity, ADHD, anxiety, depression, and insomnia, among others.
When your blood sugar is too high your body will start showing the signs very quickly.
Here are 5 signs your blood sugar is imbalanced:
- Inflammation. Sugar is a great contributor to inflammation in the body. If your blood sugar is too high, you may start to notice puffiness, skin problems (like dry, itchy skin), and even increased food sensitivities. You’ll also probably feel sluggish, low-mood, and even anxious as a result.
- Fatigue. If you find yourself frequently feeling fatigued, that’s a sign your blood sugar might be too high. Blood sugar balance is all about insulin regulation, and too much sugar increases insulin resistance, which affects your body’s ability to maintain energy.
- Digestive issues. High blood sugar can actually cause damage to the vagus nerve, which will slow the movement of food through your digestive tract. This can lead to constipation, cramping, acid reflux, and bacterial imbalances like SIBO.
- Increased cravings and overeating. When your blood sugar isn’t balanced, your body struggles to properly convert the food you’re eating into energy. This leads to feeling hungry even right after you’ve eaten, which will drive you to overeat and crave snacks more often.
- Difficulty losing weight. Excess sugar gets stored as fat in the cells, tissues, even around the organs, making weight loss difficult. If you’ve been struggling to lose weight, your blood sugar may be chronically high.
Do any of these sound familiar? If so, it’s probably time to take a look at your blood sugar.
Going to the doctor and getting your fasting blood sugar tested is a great place to start. There are also great at-home kits that test blood glucose levels and make it easy to monitor blood sugar levels yourself. This allows you to get a broader picture of your actual levels on a daily basis.
You can also take our Sugar Sensitivity Quiz to get more information right now.
But once you know where you stand, how do you start making improvements?
We know that reducing sugar is one of the hardest things to do. The struggle is real! This is the #1 issue we hear from our cleansers.
Giving up sugar isn’t just a matter of willpower.
Did you know that sugar is eight times as addictive as cocaine?
It’s no wonder so many people struggle to give it up.
Plus sugar is hidden in so many of our seemingly healthy foods like salad dressing, nut butter, dairy free yogurt, energy bars and our plant-based nut milks.
The Conscious Cleanse’s approach is to crowd out sugary foods with whole foods like leafy greens, fruits, whole grains, healthy fats, and protein. The more nutrient dense your diet becomes, the less you’re likely to crave all of those excess sugary treats.
Our April 13 Group Cleanse is coming and we’d love to have you there!
We’re here to help you beat your cravings and start building new, healthier habits around food. You’re not alone in this.
You can do this! We’ll be here, cheering you on to better health.
The Conscious Cleanse Team
Want to try out some Conscious Cleanse recipes? Our free Taste of the Conscious Cleanse eCookbook has a selection of our favorite everyday go-to recipes. They are simple, delicious, and will show you just how yummy “cleansing” food can be.
When you sign up you will also get access to our newsletter. You’ll get weekly clean eating recipes and the most up-to-date nutrition information in an accessible way you can apply for your health and vibrancy.